Independent Technology Professional 2001 to Present
The following roles represent a selection of contracts with a wide variety of international clients.
Client: Techopedia, 2015-present
Role: Technology Journalist
- Technical author for dozens of articles targeted toward I.T. professionals
Vendor: Accordant Communications; Client: Verizon; New York, 2016
Role: Operations Center Management
- Project support for team of fiber technicians
Vendor: Tekelec; Client: Various; Agency: ResolvIt; USA nationwide, 2012, 6 months
Role: Professional Services Engineer (Back Office, 3rd level, Core): configured Diameter Signaling Router
- Configured Cisco 4948 and 3020 switches
- Configured Linux servers in an HP C-Class system
- Integrated nodes (MME, S-GW, P-GW) into Evolved Packet Core (EPC)
- Analyzed Diameter messages with Wireshark
Vendor: Huawei; Client: o2/Telefonica; Agency: Glotel; Nuremberg, 2011, 4 months
Role: Back Office Engineer (Back Office, 2nd level, Core): swapped nodeBs from ATM to IP microwave transmission
- Managed NAS tickets, working with dispatch and field force.
- Used network diagrams to implement changes and perform migrations.
- Developed processes and documentation.
- Used various tools and platforms, including NAS, AVTOOL, Finderella, WebLCT, DCN portal, NetAct, NetSite, Comarch OSS Suite, SIAE, PSAX.
Vendor: Huawei; Client: Vodafone; Agency: Manning Global; Duesseldorf/Hannover, 2010-2011, 13 months
Role: OMC Engineer (OMC, 2nd-3rd level, Access): Integrated eNodeBs in LTE network
- Configured LTE connections over SCTP links on S1/X2 interfaces.
- Served as Regional SPOC for technical and management escalation
- Optimized network optimization, creating KPIs working with Vodafone quality team
- Performed change control, problem management, and reporting
- Implemented network architecture according to design
Vendor: ZTE; Client: E-Plus; Agency: Manning Global; Duesseldorf, 2010, 6 months
Role: Network Helpdesk Specialist (Helpdesk, 1st level): integrated new network features
- Developed procedures and managed XML ticket interface project
- Supported ZTE RNC and NodeBs in WCDMA environment
Vendor: Huawei; Client: o2/Telefonica; Agency: Manning Global; Munich, 2009, 6 months
Role: Network Surveillance Technician (NOC, 1st level, Core); monitored HSPA+/ UMTS network
- Conducted surveillance of network using M2000 and T2000.
- Supported RTN 620, RTN900, 2500, OSN7500, BTS3900, SGSN,
- Created, tracked and dispatched Remedy trouble tickets
Client: Telekom Austria; Agencies: BEKO, Kapsch; 2009, 2 months
Role: Test Case Engineer (Back Office, 3rd level): tested Nortel CS2K for integration
- Created test cases for migration to VoIP infrastructure
- Tested and integrated Nortel CS2K solution.
- Configurated Linux servers
Vendor/Client: Nortel Networks; Agency: Manning Global; Munich, 2008-2009, 12 months
Role: Training Network Engineer (Lab, 3rd level, Core): supported lab for Nortel Networks training worldwide
- Audited, designed, and optimized network with MS Visio
- Managed switch optimization project, with change control and technical documentation
- Supported 60+ student workstation, including configuration, disk imaging, and troubleshooting
- Installed Nortel Software Communication System (SCS) 500 lab (VoIP SIP solution with Linux servers)
- Maintained VMWare servers for student network simulations
- Implemented VLANs, IP ranges, VRRP, etc., on Nortel PP8600/ Baystack backbone network
- Configured DHCP, DNS, backup storage, and firewalls on Microsoft servers
Client: Somerfield; Agencies: Bio, Vanco, Affiniti; Bristol UK, 2007-2008, 4 months
Role: Nortel Specialist (Enterprise HQ, 3rd level, Core): supported major grocery chain IT HQ
- Executed moves and changes on Somerfield LAN
- Supported Passport 8600, Business Policy Switch 2000, and Baystack 450s
- Configured VLANs, trunks, Spanning Tree, etc.
- Performed network audit with SolarWinds and implemented network changes with MS Visio
- Wrote and implemented Methods of Procedure for change management
Vendor: Nortel Networks; Clients: Hutchison 3G, Ericsson; Agency: Manning Global; Reading UK, 2005-2006, 14 months
Role: SDH Transmission Engineer (NOC, 2nd-3rd level, Core): surveillance of SDH optical and microwave
- Worked on backbone transmission team as Shift Leader in 3G mobile network environment.
- Supported SLA requirements, including ticket management, escalation, and fault resolution
- Monitored alarms and did troubleshooting of radio access network (RAN) circuits between RNCs and NodeBs for Nokia and NEC technical teams
- Interpreted network architecture provided in design documentation
- Provisioned circuits in Preside, Nortel Passport, and Alcatel, including connections for HSPDA, RBS, and media gateways
- Supported OPTera LH, OPTera DX, OM4100, OM4150, OM4200, OME6500 cross connect, TN-1X, EC-1 and Preside, Nortel Passport (7k, 20k, and Preside MDM), Alcatel transmission (1641SX, 1660SM, 1670SM, 1353SH and 1354RM)
Client: British Telecom; Agencies: Hudson, Albany Group; Frankfurt, Germany, 2004-2005, 12 months
Role: Data Center Technician (Data Center, 1st level, Access): performed racking, cabling, and integration
- Performed trouble management and change control
- Installed and commissioned Cisco switches and routers
- Configured and supported Sun Solaris, Linux, MS Windows 2000/2003, McAfee Webshield, Fortinet, Cisco PIX, etc.
- Designed, racked, cabled, labeled, and performed troubleshooting of new customer installations
- Managed project for roll out of terminal servers
- Chaired interdepartmental meetings
- Worked with vendors and customer solutions managers to meet customer installation and change requirements
Clients: BESTgroup, VoiceConcept, IKL, Microsoft; Frankfurt, Germany, 2003-2004, 12 months
Role: IMAP Specialist (Small Office): installed and supported Linux mail system
- Supported local area networks consisting of Linux server and Microsoft workstations
- Configured Cyrus IMAP server, firewalls, and WLAN.
- Worked with start-up consultancy on business development, including business model, project management, recruiting consultants, and internal processes and communication
- Instructed network engineers in technical English
Vendor: Nortel Networks; Client: ISH; Agency: TMP Worldwide; Cologne, 2002, 12 months
Role: Nortel Passport 8600 Specialist (Competence Center, 3rd level, Core): supported ISP/cable provider
- Supported Nortel Passport 8600 & 15000, Juniper M5 & M160, ADC CUDA 12000 (CMTS), Motorola CG4500e Multi-terminal Access devices (cable modems), DMS, Tollbridge, Cornerstone Voice, Baystack, CS2K, Juniper, Optera, and others. Used Remedy, CableMaster, Netcool, HPOpenview, SS7, LDAP, Radius, etc.
- Configured and managed OSPF links in a metropolitan IP over HFC network
- Managed firmware upgrade project for all Motorola MTAs (customer modems) in the network
- Developed procedures related to trouble management and fault resolution
- Participated in change management meetings and activities in the network
- Developed documentation of network security policies, including password implementation policy
Network Operations Center (NOC) Supervisor 2001
Global Center, Munich, Germany
- Managed 10 internet systems engineers in web hosting environment
- Implemented training plan for 17 engineers
- Supervised network surveillance of Cisco, MS, Linux, F5 load balancers, Checkpoint, etc.
- Coordinated with other departments for pol icy development and roll out of new services
Senior Network Engineer (NOC, 1st-3rd level, Access) 1998-2000
Global One, Reston, Virginia and Frankfurt, Germany
- Supported Nortel Passport switches, Newbridge switches, Cisco routers, Motorola FRADs, Tellabs MartisDXX digital cross-connect, Alcatel TP switches, etc.
- Maintained departmental website
- Performed network management of frame relay, x.25, ATM, and TCP/IP.
Network Support Technician 1997
Client: Sprint, Reston, Virginia; Agency: Kelly Technical Services
- Supported Nortel Passport switches, Newbridge switches, Cisco routers, Motorola FRADs, Alcatel TP switches, etc.
- Performed network management of frame relay, x.25, and TCP/IP.